Heart Disease refers to a range of conditions affecting the Heart and Cardiovascular System. It is one of the major causes of death worldwide and is commonly found in old age. It may also occur in the young age group due to improper care and a bad lifestyle.
Many types of diseases affect the Heart and Blood Vessels in different ways. Let’s understand them,
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) is one of the most common types of Heart Disease, also known as Coronary Heart Disease. It can be caused by Atherosclerosis (deposition of cholesterol in arteries) which results in the narrowing of the arteries, thus restricting the blood flow to the Heart, causing a Heart Attack or Stroke.
- Congenital Heart Disease iscaused by medical conditions or genes when the baby is in the womb.
- Cardiomyopathy affects the heart’s pumping action due to heart muscle weakening.
- Arrhythmia refers to an abnormal heartbeat. Your Heart may either beat too fast, too slow or irregularly.
- Pericarditis or Endocarditis refers to an infection in the muscle of the Heart
Causes and Risk Factors that can affect Heart Disease
- Damage to all or part of the heart
- The abnormal rhythm of the heart
- Inadequate supply of nutrients and oxygen to the heart
- A problem with the blood vessel which leads to the heart or from the heart
- Genetics: You are more likely to get heart disease if someone in your family had it.
- Age: Heart Disease is more common in age groups 45 years or above
- Lifestyle: Overweight or Obesity, Unhealthy Diet, Physical Inactivity, Stress, Smoking and Alcoholism may add the risk of developing heart disease.
- Associated Conditions: High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol and Diabetes can increase the risk and severity of heart disease.
Symptoms of heart disease
Some heart specialist doctors explain that the symptoms depend on the specific type of heart disease and the person’s health condition. Few patients may not develop any symptoms, and the disease may remain silent.
Common symptoms of heart disease include:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain that may not go away with rest
- Fatigue and Weakness
- Swelling in Feet
- Cyanosis or Bluish Discolouration of the Skin
It can even lead to Cardiac Arrest, which is a condition in which the heart stops working, and the body can no longer function. Immediate medical attention is required in such cases.
Can Heart Disease be Prevented?
Diet and Lifestyle modification can prevent Heart Disease. Treat your body well. Some of the measures to change your lifestyle into better living are mentioned below, which can prevent the risk of a heart attack.
- Regular exercise can help you strengthen the heart system by reducing cholesterol and maintaining blood pressure
- Eating a balanced diet of food rich in fibres and filled with fruits and vegetables
- Doing yoga to reduce the level of stress and anxiety
- Quitting smoking and avoiding drinking alcohol which is one of the major causes of the problems in heart condition
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
What are the treatments available for heart disease?
Treatment of heart disease depends on the specific type of heart condition a person has. Some common treatment includes medications, changing lifestyle and undergoing surgery.
- Antiplatelet therapy to prevent clot
- Beta-blockers to treat arrhythmias and angina
- Anticoagulants to prevent clots, clotting ability in which blood is decreased
- Vasodilators to help ease chest pain
- Diuretics lower blood pressure and remove excess water from the body.
Surgeries that are commonly done
Some common surgeries performed to treat heart blockage and heart problems
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery also called Heart Bypass Surgery or CABG
- Replacing or Repairing the Valve
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Heart Pacemaker Surgery
- Maze Surgery to help treat Atrial Fibrillation
There are various Heart Surgery Hospitals in Delhito treat your heart condition either by medication or surgery. In some cases, if a person takes steps to prevent heart disease like doing regular exercise, eating a healthy diet, or seeking advice when the first symptoms appear, they can cure their heart condition.
Even after proper medicines and care, Heart disease can be found in 6 out of 10 people. Initially, it is not expensive but having major symptoms creates a critical condition and can be life-threatening as well. Call HexaHealth immediately for expert consultation and guidance for yourself or your near and dear ones!