In a private house, we feel comfortable in any weather. When it is cold outside, and apartment owners are forced to turn on the heating to the maximum, the house is warm and comfortable. When the summer heat haunts in urban high-rise buildings, the house is perfectly ventilated and cooled. In many ways, a comfortable climate in the house is created due to high-quality wooden windows.
However, often in the cold season, a strange phenomenon occurs with wooden windows – the windows fog up from the inside. There seems to be no apparent reason, and the owners are wondering ” why are my windows foggy “. It’s not able not to make them worry.
We should note that fogging of wooden windows is a common problem not only for houses, but also for apartments in high-rise buildings.
Why do windows fog up?
Window fogging is a natural phenomenon, which is associated with high humidity and a large difference in temperatures inside and outside the building, so it most often occurs in the autumn-winter period. The most common reason for windows fogging up is insufficient circulation of exhaust air in rooms where water vapor is “produced”.
The formula of foggy windows is simple: the lower the temperature and the higher the humidity, the closer it is to condensation.
Why is fogging of wooden windows in the house dangerous?
The process of window fogging should be given special attention. Foggy window is a kind of indicator of the internal microclimate. And this indicator can warn of a danger to the health of housemates. First of all, the danger lies in the possible formation of fungus, mold and various bacteria.
People react differently to the fungal presence in the house: from the decrease in immunity to the development of serious diseases.
How to fix foggy window?
The owners of newly installed wooden windows, for the first time faced with the appearance of fogging on the glass and frame, start to point finger and find dozens of different reasons for this. Window manufacturers, window installers, neighbors, bad weather, anyone but themselves are to blame.
But often the reason that wooden windows fog up lies in the actions of the owners of the apartment or house. Careful warming of the window before the winter period deprives it of natural air circulation.
It takes only two steps for defogging windows in the house: increase the temperature of the glass and remove dampness in the room.
How to optimize glass temperature?
• It makes sense to install double-glazed windows with energy-saving glass.
• It is worth shortening the window sill if it covers the heating system.
• Remove thick curtains from the window, which can also impede air circulation.
• Increase the temperature in the house for a while, if possible.
How to overcome humidity in the house?
• The most banal step, but very important – constantly ventilate the room. Air humidity can rise due to various reasons: cleaning, cooking, drying clothes, and even due to human breathing. If the ventilation system in the room is working properly, then problems with condensate can be avoided by periodically airing the room.
• Installing air vents on the windows will provide fresh air and can reduce the humidity inside.
• Difficulties in the operation of the hood are also one of the reasons why wooden windows fog up. Clean it thoroughly.
• It is worth getting rid of seemingly minor sources of moisture – potted plants, air humidifiers, aquariums.
How to prepare windows for the cold season and avoid fogging? It is not necessary to seal wooden windows with all improvised means with the onset of cold weather. This will most likely lead to condensation in the house. Remember that everything is good in its season.